Monday 29 May 2017

De-Cluttering



You might not be surprised to hear that I didn't take part in the potato peeling competition . What can I say ... I didn't go to the Haka workshop , either . I did wonder if I should go and find this rather fine statue but the sun shone , instead .

I sat on the balcony and admired boats , canoes , sup boards , cruisers , yachts , Zodiacs  ...
     I particularly admired the young couple who live on the third floor opposite my flat , who man-handled their giant , already fully inflated Zodiac up the stairs to their flat on Friday evening and down again in the morning , especially since between them they probably don't weigh more than twelve stone . ( Perhaps that's why ?) 

More than 140 row boats went past on Friday evening, too , at the beginning of a watery Elfstedentocht ; more than 250 kilometers from town to town through the province , overnight by lantern-light . It would have been wonderful to stand alone on a bridge out in the fields at midnight and watch the lights approaching , with only the sound of the oarlocks ... a bit spooky , perhaps .

Browsing among Audible's new releases for something nice to listen to , I discovered "The Vampire's Legacy" :  A Vampire Pregnancy Romance by Samantha Snow . Good grief !
Blurb says : "But no-one could have predicted that within just 48 hours of meeting this mysterious stranger , she would be giving birth to his baby ". ( Sister Ann Brigid might have warned you ... and did , regularly , if I remember ) . Mind you , the 48 hour pregnancy recommends it as I remember our Firstborn arriving three weeks late , though , to be fair , she's never bitten anyone . Still , I chose a Barbara Vine ,instead .

 Our supermarket's now labelling their tubs of olives , 10 Calories per Olive . You have been warned .

 And finally , a middle-aged daughter excusing her father's non-responsiveness to the doctor's receptionist today , "Sorry , he's as deaf as a canary ... or aren't they deaf ?"

So , now I've de-cluttered my head slightly , I'll go out and see what else is going on ....

5 comments:

molly said...


Ah, decluttering, a pet project here, the more so with each passing birthday, of which I just had another! We were recently remembering the tiny house the OC lived in when we met....Stuff expands to fill the space available. Maybe we need to downsize to "tiny" again! Would love a view like yours - of boats passing by...

Joanne Noragon said...

Every year I am more amazed and enchanted by the things young folks can still do.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Vampire pregnancy romance? 48 hour gestation period? That's kinda tame, isn't it? You need to read some "mpreg" fanfiction where two male lovers produce their own children together. Yes! Let men have the hormonal mood swings and stretch marks for a change!

lovethosecupcakes said...

Oh, I love me a bit of haka (I'm sure it's the haka and not the rugby thighs). I also love an olive or twelve though maybe not so much after reading this post. Don't know if canaries are deaf but I once heard one that was definitely tone deaf.

Liz Hinds said...

Is a Zodiac one of those floaty things? Oh wait, that's a boat. I mean a blown-up floaty thing.

I read haka as haiku.

Have you read The Reader on the 6.27?