Friday 26 March 2010

Food in Catalonia

Smitonius:

Just back from a quick trip to Barcelona and Vic in Catalonia (Spain). Although the main aim was research, so most of the time was spent in libraries, I still managed to fit in some tasty food! The fresh produce at this market in Vic was exceptional:

And, on my last day, I sat and enjoyed a set menu in the sunshine. So for the total of 10 euros I enjoyed... firstly, a bean stew:

Secondly, a fish dish (which was heavenly but not particularly photogenic, so will spare you the sight of it); and thirdly, a little dish of strawberries:

I should have joined the locals and danced a Sardana to work it all off! This pic was taken in Vic's main square, in fact, after the market had closed a music band from nearby Girona arrived and started to play. The Sardana is a sedate circle dance, and although there appears to be some etiquette involved, people just popped up to the circle and joined the dance as and when.

9 comments:

rachel said...

A perfect post - cheerful, colourful (natty tablecloth!) and a healthy mix of diet and exercise!

(Wouldn't it be nice if dance were to break out spontaneously on the streets of Britain!)

Once in a while said...

Hi Jessamy - obviously you like Spain, shall be blogging 'The walk of St James' eventually. Across Northern Spain. Like your photo's Regards Patrick

Tania said...

I love that phrase 'as and when'. And I love the as and when-ness of dancing in a town square with other as and when-ers, if it 'takes your fancy' (another nice phrase).

Rattling On said...

Looks like a great trip. I'd have joined the dance and had a bash, but it's the sort of thing that makes MrH squirm and become a real Englishman!!

Marcheline said...

How lovely it all must have been! Thanks for sharing, and next time save me a strawberry. 8-)

Anonymous said...

Lucky you. Once upon a time when I was married we had a place in Spain and I loved the Easter time celebrations and rituals although not religious myself. They live and talk the walk/dance in a cultural way that I envied.

Penny said...

I love Barcelona, and that bean stew looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

The food and dancing looks wonderful. How I wish I could say "just back from a quick trip to Barcelona".For those of us in Australia not at the top end, close to Indonesia,I guess the nearest quick trip would be across to New Zealand for a rousing Maori Huka, or for those Aussies living in Western Australia,a much longer trip directly across the ocean to Africa for a lively bounce with the Massai! Enjoyed your post and pics.

Friko said...

lucky you, going off to do research in Barcelona hen the weather here is totally piggy.
Blogging is wonderful, I am finding new people whom i like all the time; glad I found you.